Monday, December 5, 2011

Crockpotervention: Spicy Honey-Glazed Chicken

It's finals week, which basically means that I have to learn 11 weeks worth of chemistry in 4 days. After studying all day, I needed something quick and cheap, yet not totally bad for me and equally delicious.


Enter spicy honey-glazed chicken. I had all the ingredients and I bet you do too.



The beginning
Thanks to Pinterest, I found this gem of a recipe on this blog and it looked too delicious and easy to pass up. It also boasted that because it used the broiler it was quick and easy. Broiler = stove equivalent to the crock pot?! We shall see!

The characters
3 large chicken breasts, thawed (mine were partially thawed... I regret this deeply)
1 tsp of salt (I used Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Original)
2 tsp of black pepper (I'm obsessed. For you non-obsessed, just use 1)
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
2 tsp of paprika
2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 c of honey
2 tbs of apple cider vinegar

Can you see the ice on the chicken? Note to self: thaw the chicken next time

Pantry ingredients make me happy

The plot
Mixed all the spices together in one bowl and the honey and apple cider vinegar in another bowl. Cover the breasts in the seasoning and put under the broiler. Broil for 5-7 minutes and then flip*. Broil another 5-7 and then flip back over. Cover in honey sauce** and cook until the sauce glazes over.

*Because the chicken breasts I used were really thick and partially frozen, I cooked each side about 11-14 minutes each. After putting in the glaze I cooked for an additional 3-4 minutes.
** Be careful when putting glaze on- the oven is freaking hot!

Mix up your spices

The honey will become soluble in the vinegar after about 5 minutes

Place the chicken on the pan

Cover both sides in the rub

Flip (p.s. this is the only oven shot because I thought my fingers would burn off) 
But in the sequence of things, after the third flip, you would dump the glaze over the the chicken breasts and cook for another 4 minutes.

Gorgeous dahling!

The conclusion
Spicy, yet sweet and oh so easy. Definitely a keeper recipe. I think the next time I make this, I will use thinner chicken breasts/or flatten them out. And yes...I also realize that every single meal I make is served with rice. This needs to change.

Moral of the story
Finals week really sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment