Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kristen Tackles Leftovers... take one

I've never been very good about leftovers. I usually eat the same dish over and over before I get so sick of whatever it is I am eating that the thought of it makes me want to vom.

However, as I am on the quest to become a better cook/"healthier" college student, I am accepting the challenge of disguising my leftovers- both cleverly and deliciously.

The dish: Spicy honey-glazed chicken with rice
The dilemma: I am really, really, really sick of rice.

How I now feel about rice:

You know, that scene in the movie where they keep making him eat fruit cake and pudding? Yeah. I feel like that.

Therefore, I bring you.... Use-Everything-In-The-Apartment-That's-Going-To-Go-Bad Casserole:


Yum.



The beginning
As stated previously, I made delicious chicken and rice (ick!!!!!!) and I just could not bear to eat it a third day in a row. Just. Couldn't. Do. It. After some internet surfing (i.e. procrastinating from studying chemistry) I found many recipes for chicken and rice casseroles, my favorite being ones with almonds and corn flakes. Guess what people, I actually had those things.

The characters
2 cups of cubed leftover chicken (this was 1.5 chicken breasts for me)
1 can of cream of celery
1/2 of an onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped (this was the whole bag that did not go bad for me)
1/2 cup of chopped almonds (I just grabbed a handful and chopped away)
1-2 cups of cooked rice
Cornflakes to cover the top
Salt and pepper to taste
*Optional: 1-2 tbs of milk if the chicken mixture seems dry

As you can see... celery that was extremely wilted/half rotten and other things found laying around my cabinets and fridge.

The plot
Pretty straight forward- add everything (chicken, chopped onion, celery, almonds, rice, cream of celery, milk if you need it, and salt and pepper) and stir. Place in a casserole dish and cover with corn flakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Chop your chicken, 

add onions and celery,

add almonds,

add rice* (note to self: less rice next time),

add cream of celery,

mix together, 

add corn flakes and wait 30 minutes!


The conclusion
Delicious disguise of ordinary chicken and rice! Next time...definitely less rice, less onion. A lot of the recipes called for softening the celery in butter. If you want to do that, do it, but well, I'm trying to save on the calories. I personally liked the crunch from the celery and the almonds. Overall, very good.


Nice and crispy

I had to test it.


Moral of the story
I hate chemistry. And rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment